The Hettrick Mfg. Co. was founded in 1893 (or 1891, depending on the source) in Toledo, Ohio as a manufacturer of canvas goods, largely awnings and wagon covers. In 1921, they launched the “American Field” line of hunting garments. A bit of a late comer to the hunting game, they advertised their coats as designed by an “old timer”. Their factory was located at 1401 Summit Street, Toledo, Ohio. Unlike most of the other manufacturers of hunting clothes, Hettrick maintained their other interests after entering the hunting market, producing everything from canvas lawn chairs to tricycles. Hettrick was purchased by the F&M Real Estate Company of Lowell, MA and in 1962, Hettrick closed its Ohio factories and moved to Statesville, NC to take advantage of the lower cost of manufacturing in the south. They moved production into the factory of the Empire Manufacturing Corp, who continued producing their own line from the same plant, with a secondary factory in Pink Hill, NC. It is unclear whether they were purchased by Empire, sources are conflicting. Empire ran a strongly anti-union shop, threatening employees in 1968 who were attempting to unionize. They were sued by employees, the threats were found to be unlawful and the case was used as an example in a Congressional subcommittee on labor. Shortly thereafter, in 1969, American Field was acquired by the Olin Corporation, manufacturer of Winchester rifles. In 1970, the Hettrick divistion acquired the J. W. Johnson Co of Bellwood, Ill and Dickey Oakwood Corp of Oakwood, Ohio. In 1971, Hettrick merged with Comfy Seattle Co and became Trailblazer by Winchester, “managing transactions for Comfy, the Turner Co., Olin Skiis, J.W. Johnson, Dickey Oakwood”, as well as factories in Pink Hill, Statesville and one in Corcoran, California built in 1970. While Hettrick as a company was absorbed, the Hettrick brand continued to be produced, with production shifted to the Pink Hill plant, reflected on labels. By the 1980s, the operation had been sold again, to WeatherShield Sports Equipment, Inc. (founded 1951) at Petoskey Rd. At Mercer Blvd., Charlevoix, MI. They lasted at least into the 1990s.
This vintage coat was made in the mid-1930s by the Woolrich Woolen Mills of Woolrich, Pennsylvania. It features the green bordered Woolrich tag used c.1934-c.1936, the United Carr waver pattern with dots snaps used up through the mid ’30s (replaced by a simplified version in the late 1930s and by a plain top snap by the early 1940s), early style buttons and the asymmetrical breast pockets which were replaced post-war with symmetrical ones. The coat has a mustard colored lining and storm cuffs. The wool used on these earlier production coats is darker in color and heavier in weight than later coats.
This vintage Jeep coat was made during WWII for the US Army. It is made from green canvas with a brown wool lining and collar. It has a shawl collar and a double breasted closure, with a throat latch with a wreath style donut button under the collar.
This vintage coat was made in the 1930s and was sold by the New York based department store Oppenheim Collins. It is double breasted, with cargo pockets and handwarmer pockets featuring scalloped trim. There are buttoned adjuster belts at the cuffs.