This vintage suit was made in the late 1950s-early 1960s by Gross of Denver. It is made from iridescent green and gold sharkskin, with a western cut. It has peak lapels and yokes front and back, with the pleats in the rear allowing for greater range of motion in the shoulders. The pants have pearl snaps on the back pockets and fancy western belt loops.
This vintage suit was made in 1960 and was sold by McCracken Bros, the mens store, with locations in Bozeman and Dillon Montana. It is a more sedate version of the style, with proportions more in keeping with western suits of the mid 1950s. Made from putty colored gabardine, it has saddlebag pockets, peak lapels, a bi-swing back, a square cutaway, three button front and no yokes. The pants have regular style belt loops and buttoned “dog ear” pockets, more typically seen on equestrian breeches.
This vintage suit was made in the late 1950s by H Bar C Ranchwear. It is made of brown wool with a red and gray fleck. The suit has a square cutaway, three button front, peak lapels, flapped pockets, and a yoked back with bi-swing shoulders. The pants have pearl snaps on the back pockets and fancy western belt loops and front pockets.
This vintage suit was made in the late 1950s-early 1960s. It is an unusual style, popular for an extremely brief period around 1960, usually seen in sportcoat form. The suit is double breasted, with narrow notch lapels and a sharp cutaway. It has a button on belted back, with four buttons, horizontally oriented cuff buttons, tab adjusters on the waistband of the suit and pegged trousers. This one is NOS with the original tags still on it, and unhemmed legs.
This vintage suit was made by Michaels- Stern of Rochester, NY from Courier Cloth and was sold the Hub Clothing Co of Moorhead, Minnesota. Courier Cloth was advertised as being woven from mid-weight wool in such a way that made it particularly hard wearing.
This vintage suit was made from Eton Flannel by Hart Schaffner & Marx in the 1950s and was sold by Joe Ramos of National City.
The Hettrick Mfg. Co. was founded in 1893 (or 1891, depending on the source) in Toledo, Ohio as a manufacturer of canvas goods, largely awnings and wagon covers. In 1921, they launched the “American Field” line of hunting garments. A bit of a late comer to the hunting game, they advertised their coats as designed by an “old timer”. Their factory was located at 1401 Summit Street, Toledo, Ohio. Unlike most of the other manufacturers of hunting clothes, Hettrick maintained their other interests after entering the hunting market, producing everything from canvas lawn chairs to tricycles. Hettrick was purchased by the F&M Real Estate Company of Lowell, MA and in 1962, Hettrick closed its Ohio factories and moved to Statesville, NC to take advantage of the lower cost of manufacturing in the south. They moved production into the factory of the Empire Manufacturing Corp, who continued producing their own line from the same plant, with a secondary factory in Pink Hill, NC. It is unclear whether they were purchased by Empire, sources are conflicting. Empire ran a strongly anti-union shop, threatening employees in 1968 who were attempting to unionize. They were sued by employees, the threats were found to be unlawful and the case was used as an example in a Congressional subcommittee on labor. Shortly thereafter, in 1969, American Field was acquired by the Olin Corporation, manufacturer of Winchester rifles. In 1970, the Hettrick divistion acquired the J. W. Johnson Co of Bellwood, Ill and Dickey Oakwood Corp of Oakwood, Ohio. In 1971, Hettrick merged with Comfy Seattle Co and became Trailblazer by Winchester, “managing transactions for Comfy, the Turner Co., Olin Skiis, J.W. Johnson, Dickey Oakwood”, as well as factories in Pink Hill, Statesville and one in Corcoran, California built in 1970. While Hettrick as a company was absorbed, the Hettrick brand continued to be produced, with production shifted to the Pink Hill plant, reflected on labels. By the 1980s, the operation had been sold again, to WeatherShield Sports Equipment, Inc. (founded 1951) at Petoskey Rd. At Mercer Blvd., Charlevoix, MI. They lasted at least into the 1990s.
This vintage hat was made in the mid 1950s by the John B. Stetson Co. from their Royal Stetson grade felt. It is their famous “Playboy” model, with lightweight felt, a stitched raw edge brim, marrow ribbon and diamond shaped bents on the side of the crown. The hat is a size 7-3/8, with a 2-3/4″ brim and a 5-3/8″ crown.